Saturday, July 5, 2014

Good in Goodbye?

Hey y'all!
Greetings from the perpetually sunny and humid Taichung!  It has been an exciting past 2 weeks for me- or really just an exciting past week!  The week before that was actually quite boring, and filled with paperwork.

But this week has been fun for a variety of reasons:

1) New Friends! Christina and Matisse are visiting from the Cambridge-Ellis School in the USA (which is the school that hired me to teach here.)  It has been really fun to watch other people experience Taiwan for the first time, get new ideas for teaching from them (they're both preschool teachers in the States) and just have more people living with me!

Breakfast with the new girls!

2) Canada Day! For those of you not familiar with Canadian holidays, July 1st is Canada Day.  Why July 1st? Because that's the day Canada was united (from 3 colonies) into a single country under the British Empire.  It was a fun holiday to share with my students, especially my youngest ones, who learned to sing "O, Canada' for the occasion.

Also I made Nanaimo bars Tuesday.  Those are gone.  I ate most of them by myself.
Sorry not sorry.
Also, if you don't know "O, Canada," here are some Canadians singing it to try and open the beer fridge. 

3) American Independence Day! One of the awesome perks of dual citizenship is having 2 holidays in one week- the 4th of July and Canada Day (I just kinda ignore the British thing for the week…) and we celebrated 4th of July in style this weekend, with a mini-feast for our students of some "American" foods (hot dogs, french fries, lemonade, pancakes) We celebrated later with yummy drinks and food, then karaoke!!!

Our American feast!
Our flags!

… But these past few weeks have been sad too.
4. Goodbyes  With the clock ticking for me leaving Taiwan (this time next month I'll actually have started my new job on Coney Island…scary) it is time to say some good-byes.  These have taken place in a few different forms- from cookouts with students' families (at the ridiculously delicious Din Tai Fung), fun activities with my elementary school students, who are now on summer vacation, and rooftop barbecues with friends from church.
Volcanoes with my 5th grade students!

Din Tai Fung has awesome dumplings...

Super awesome dumplings...

Really just go.  They have them in California
Church friends barbecue!

Yummy duck at the barbecue!
Another good-bye dinner that included a waffle burger! 
Are you getting the idea that I'm eating a lot?  Because that is definitely true.

… Oh, and I also had to say goodbye to Mexico in the World Cup.  Don't talk to me, Netherlands. That "dive" was wrong and you know it.  Now I'm hoping I don't have to say goodbye to Argentina!

There are many difficult goodbyes to come, and hopefully some happy reunions when I return to the States in two weeks.
This is going to be a very difficult group of co-workers and friends to say goodbye to! 

I likely will post again sometime before I leave, so check back in the next two weeks!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment