Friday, July 18, 2014

New Beginnings?

I'm no longer in Taichung y'all!  And I'm sure I should be excited to be staying in the lovely Novotel at Taoyuan Airport- it is beautiful, well- stocked, and the staff are very nice.

Looks like a good place to sleep tonight!

What better place to watch airplanes than poolside?

But my heart is heavy today.  To be sure, with the news today out of Ukraine and Israel and Gaza (and probably many more places that the BBC isn't informing me about) is enough to crush anyone's spirit.
But my heart is heavy for another, much more personal reason.  Today I said goodbye to my home of one year, St. James'. This is not just emotionally, but physically- I have been living and working there for the past year.

So this week was filled with some joy, like a beautiful wedding…
So much food! There was lobsters…and oysters...


And the bride and groom decided from the balcony in a carriage (yeah, Taiwan knows how to do weddings)

There were adorable babies! 

Time to see old friends (I miss y'all already, Jenny, Tiffany, and Ruby)

Continued roomie bonding (but where is Joy??? why did you go to medical school?)


And my birthday…

Proof I am suited to be a preschool teacher- I act like I'm 5 on my birthday!!!

My co-teacher and I with the presents we have exchanged- two of our favorite things: coffee and whiskey!

I am going to miss these girls sooo much! (but they were so nice to come to my ice cream birthday party!)
(Not pictured…me getting covered with water multiple times during this week)

There was also a beautiful graduation.
*My students will actually graduate next year.  And I am very tempted after seeing this year's graduation to come back to see them!*


My awesome hair stylist and I!!!

Teacher Vicky and I actually look pretty!

Our guest teachers being interviewed!

Principal Susan, being an awesome speech giver!

Our "valedictorian"?  She was super cute!

Some students after their dance performance!

Teachers dance (thankfully, I was not a part of this!)

Graduation selfie!!! (clearly, the children are getting restless towards the end of the ceremony)

I should have more to say about all these lovely events, but for now I will let the pictures do the talking.  I'm still a little too sad to be looking fondly on these events.

Missing these ladies already!

St. James' Family!  I hope we can reunite soon!!!

For now, these are my reflections…

I came to Taiwan pretty broken, after a difficult year in Mississippi and, in retrospect, many questions about my own identity and future that I was trying to run from.  This year has been difficult (what year as a teacher isn't) but has also been healing.  I've found friends in unexpected places, I've found my passion for education renewed, and I've found my love for others has not been entirely buried under my wall of cynicism. This is all good news.  I've learned a lot about teaching…and I would be lying if I didn't say that some of my tears today weren't about my good-byes, but about the realization that after two years, I am no longer a teacher.  This is new for me…and may take some adjustment.  I don't know exactly what's next.  Am I terrified of my move to NYC and starting a new job outside the classroom? Definitely.  But I can't think of anything to better prepare me than the year I've had here in Taiwan.




So for those are who curious, I'll keep this blog up for a few more weeks- talking about my readjustment to American life, fun times apartment hunting in NYC, new job, etc. (if you're interested)!
After that, we'll shut down again until I continue my roaming…whether it's close to home (i.e. Boston or Toronto) or further away (London!  Back to Taiwan?)!


Thanks so much for roaming with me all year!  I hope you've enjoyed my crazy musings and my pictures!  If your curious what life in NC/NYC looks like, keep reading!  If not, see you next time this lama decides to go on adventure!



No comments:

Post a Comment