Sunday, June 22, 2014

Hikes, Sleep Deprivation, and Goodbyes...

Does this sound fun?
Because it is!  Sorry for not writing last weekend!  My life when living in Taiwan can be rather boring. Recently it has involved me drinking lots of coffee and not getting very much sleep.  Why?  Because the World Cup is on, of course!

Leighnae and I are cheering on Mexico!!!

This might be my favorite student!
 (If you didn't know, I cheer for Argentina when not busy cheering on Mexico!) 

Vamos Guerreros ! (and Argentina, and England, but we know how that turned out…) Fun fact: The World Cup is on from 12 am- 8 am Taiwan time, and México (who I cheer for, because they're awesome) keeps playing at 3 am or 4 am.  The things I do for love…
I also made a Gingerbread Man with my preschoolers!
In addition to watching fútbol and giving final exams, this weekend my bible study (aka my co-workers) went hiking.  To Hehuanshan.

Things I knew about our hiking trip:

  • It would be very pretty
  • It would be sunny and maybe a little cold at the top
  • We would enjoy fun, fellowship, and yummy food!

Things I did not know about our hiking trip:

  • It would be a 2 hour drive through winding mountain roads (which would cause me to get motion sickness…attractive, I know)
  • I would get sunburnt despite my vigorous application of sunscreen
  • I would find an awesome pink llama hat (get super excited! I am so ready for NYC)
  • It would be as breathtakingly gorgeous as it was:)

Here are some pictures:
…are you jealous yet?
Fun fact…I got sick on this road.  
I made it to the top!!! 
Again…beautiful
Me channelling my mother…visor, sunglasses, hair down…full Brenda look.
More beautiful scenery
That's where I was!  If you're ever in Taiwan, check it out! 
Also, today I went to the house of some friends, Hans and Shirley, to see their new home and to say some goodbyes.  As summer approaches, the expats begin to make their way back home for vacations, and unfortunately that means saying goodbye to many friends sooner rather than later.  While this is certainly bittersweet (I am excited to return to the States, but saying goodbyes are always sad), we had a great time eating yummy food:

(Not pictured…Julie, who we're actually saying goodbye to…FAIL)
I'm really gonna miss these people!
Check back in 2 weeks (sorry, I'll likely be lame again this weekend) for information about how we celebrated Canada Day and the 4th of July, and my observations on saying goodbyes to my 1st and 5th graders!

Oh, and see you in a month!!! I'll be back in NC July 19th-25th and up to NYC after that!  Hope to see you soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment