Thursday, March 10, 2011

March in China- just don't say Tibet!


Hey y’all!
My sincerest apologies.  As usual, internet is a problem, except at my internship- where I can’t use my VPN, and therefore can’t get on to blog, upload pictures, etc.  So this does make life more difficult.
Today, when walking to the subway, I felt like such a grown-up.  Commuting to work in the morning, all dressed up and in a hurry, rushing back to go to the gym, picking up dinner on the way back, etc.  Why do we have to grow up?  When I dress up for work I still feel like a little girl playing princess- although I don’t wear a crown to work.  I still get to have a tea party- just with my computer.  Not so fun.
My Chinese is improving a lot in my internship, and some with my Chinese class- and I’m starting to become more comfortable speaking outside of class.  I had a lovely conversation with someone on Tuesday (International Women’s Day!) about how long it took us both to get take-out.  Baby steps, baby steps.
This week being the beginning of Lent has made me a little homesick- no pancakes on Tuesday, no Ash Wednesday service, and no one else to talk about what we’re giving up for Lent.  However, today I realized I’ve got less than 2 months until I’m actually home- so I might as well make the best of it!!!  Right?
Life here continues to be perplexing.  I miss all of y’all (family, friends, but this week especially my Morocco friends) terribly!  It can be very lonely here- this program can be alienating sometimes.  While I love my friends here, I sometimes feel like I just don’t belong on this program.  I wonder a lot if this means I don’t belong in China- it seems that Americans in China just aren’t like me.  What does that mean for my future?  Should Chinese be a part of it? And can I return to China?  I felt like I found such a great community in Morocco, not just of students but others, and I’m not sure this community exists here.
This sounds so morose, and I promise life in China isn’t all bad!  The weather is finally improving, so I’m hoping to do some outside things this weekend- possibly even running!  And classes are relatively interesting- my Chinese Women’s Studies class is going very well, and well, my political reforms class was cancelled this week.   I also went to the grocery store and managed to find some peppers!  I’m super excited to eat them and finally get some veggies in my diet.  I also bought some carrot juice- not the most appetizing, but I really need veggies.
Well, that’s it for now!  Lots of love!  Skype/email/facebook me about your life!
Love always,
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. I think you should wear a crown to work. That would be great.

    ReplyDelete