Unfortunately I can’t make this up. So as I look out at the disgusting, slushy mess of Beijing, I get a little homesick. The past two weeks have been lovely- highlights include a package from home (I can see again!) a trip to a beautiful park, and, as always, delicious Chinese food.
I also am having a great time at my internship here. Although I’m not always impressed with my program, their placement for me is spot on. I spent my last day emailing the US Ambassador, translating budget reports, and actually doing work that I found useful. For awhile they’ve kept me busy just searching for news online, which feels very meaningless. But now they’re letting me translate documents from Chinese to English. It’s time consuming and difficult, but then no one else has to do anything, so I feel useful. And I really like getting the free lunch…which is actually pretty healthy.
Speaking of which, I need to give up something for Lent. Any suggestions? I’m not sure I can handle life without chocolate here. I wish I could not eat fried foods- but I’d starve. So let me know!
I also continue to suffer from roommate drama…I hope it will improve, but at this point I’m quite sure I But I now have an eye mask, that is helping me sleep at night- my roomie runs on a rather strange schedule. I’m just glad I can do the best I can! Although I also need to clean- but hey, it’s on my to do list!
In other news, I’m starting to think there might be something wrong with me for not wanting to go out and get schwasted all the time- is it really so bad that I don’t feel the need to do this every night? I feel like as the strength I’ve taken from my work these past two years slowly leaves me (but don’t worry, I’ll be back next year!) I feel like such an abnormal college student. I mean, I like to have fun, but enough is enough! Any comments? Am I really that crazy? Or secretly already 30?
So as much as I also love you dearly, I am going out tonight with the promise of greek salad- with real feta cheese!!! I’ll be sure to let you know if this is successful- so far Beiing is not super healthy. But with greek salad tonight and yoga tomorrow, it only gets better from here! I miss y’all dearly!
Love always,
Lauren
P.S. if you think I love you enough to send you mail, check your mailbox…soonish?
Hi Lauren!
ReplyDeleteYou're not crazy (or 30 yet)! I'm the same way, so maybe that's comforting and maybe it just confirms your fears, but either way, I'm in the same boat. :P I like to have fun and occasionally get "schwasted" (love that, btw), but usually I'd rather do something a little more chill.
I've also been there with the needing a sleepmask to solve roommate trouble! I hope that's the only problem you've been having with her.
<3 Abby