Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Happy New Year



The group in Tiananmen Square…I hear it’s famous but when you google it here nothing comes up… (Oh, China)
Greetings from Beijing, and my sincerest apologies!  The great firewall of China tried to thwart my blogging, but I am now back, with some (already on facebook) pictures and more to come this weekend!  Here’s what I’ve been up to:
It was Chinese New Year last week, a truly terrifying spectacle of fireworks.  I spent a lot of time indoors stress eating chocolate, and consequently going to my fabulously awesome gym.  There I can watch Japanese game shows and pretend I too am trying to outrun giant puzzle pieces. 
For the actual New Year, my program took us to Pingyao, a lovely city that used to be the financial center of China- a few hundred years ago.  Now, while it has lovely preserved architecture, it has become one of the most polluted cities in all of China- the weather report literally said smoke for the time we were there.  As a result, more wonderful time was spent indoors, playing card games, chatting, and talking about how dirty we felt from even going outside.  But there were also some very cool sights such as this temple:

Not my picture, but I was there!!!
Anyway, I have now spent a few relaxing days in Beijing, and unfortunately classes start again tomorrow.  This was our only break until the end of the semester- good thing I have the last week of March off because I have to go to Houston!!  So no real spring break for us, but we finish April 15th.
Look forward to more pictures and stories soon!  Until then eat some yummy American food for me (I am craving apple pie today) and remember I like letters- so email/fb me if you want my address!
Love always,
Lauren

Oh the smog outside is frightful…

No comments:

Post a Comment