Thursday, August 29, 2013

I'm back...

Hey y'all!
After a delightful two years living in the US (ok, so I was in Mexico after Beijing, and made a few small trips abroad) I am back again.  This time I'm living in beautiful Taichung, Taiwan.  I am spending the next year (at least??) teaching pre-schoolers, 1st graders, and 5th graders.  It's a far cry from the past year I spent teaching high school Spanish in many ways, but in many ways, it's also very similar.
So please check back for pictures of my many adventures and adorable new students, attempts to learn traditional characters (why did I learn simplified), and of course, my endless musings on what on earth I'm supposed to be doing with my life.  But first the question you're all asking:
Why am I here? (or, why are you moving to Taiwan?)
Last year I found myself at a crossroads
Photo by Thomas Gregory- I had to steal it because it's perfect!
Literally, the crossroads.  Like the one where Robert Johnson sold his soul. And as my life was slowly falling into shambles and I couldn't figure out where I was going, I knew it was time for a change.  I wasn't quite ready to sell my soul, and I was starting to feel like that was the only option I had left.  So when I got this job in Taiwan it seemed like a sign.  A chance to start over in a lot of ways- including building new relationships and rebuilding old ones.  This is a year to really impact a lot of students' lives, especially at such a formative age.  Mississippi changed me in a huge way, and I hope Taiwan does the same.  At the same time, I realize that I can't keeping looking back to the past, and to what I've left behind.  I have my first day of school tomorrow (yikes!) but I am already so excited to meet my new students and experience new joys (and frustrations.)
I can't wait to share my experiences with y'all, and please reach out to me and stay in touch!!
For now, some pics of my new city:
I live across the street from the Taiwan Museum of Fine Arts...so I have beautiful sidewalks to run on that are only partially covered by scooters

Crossing the street in Taiwan is fun...and notice all the scooters...that I am terrified of

The entrance to the super fancy SOGO department store...it's a block from my gym and is at least 14 stories high...crazy!

One of the big fancy skyscrapers by my building...I am definitely not in the Delta anymore


1 comment: