Friday, September 17, 2010

Morocco- A comedy with moments of intense drama

“Coming soon to theaters near you, a story of hysterical laughter and beautiful backdrops, spliced with scenes of heartbreak, frustration, and anger.”
Well, if after 3 weeks (almost) here I were to imagine a movie of Morocco, Casablanca does not come to mind.  My times in Morocco certainly have less romance and more comedy- I make my host sister walk 5 extra blocks because I don’t know my way around the medina, a friend falls in a hole in the street, I try to use only my right hand to eat and my family tells me I eat as well as a toddler.  Such is life here in Rabat.  But I’m finally starting to feel at home?  My ankle is healing well, and I have convinced everyone I don’t need to go to the doctor.  I’m excited for an excursion this weekend to Fez and Meknes (I promise I’ll have pictures next week!) and ready for a real shower.  Plus, Monday is another hammam day, and there’s a layer of skin I would love to shed.  I’m also hoping to find some Mexican food or at least a glass of wine this weekend (for those of you who are abroad in Europe- be happy that you can drink, and don’t overuse this privilege) and a delightful Disney movie (Aladdin, anyone?  So many untrue stereotypes, but still so good.)
However, today is a day of frustration, and it is time for me to vent some to all of you who are patiently reading my blog.  A few things have had my skin crawling this week.  One is my frustration with not being able to go out at night.  The idea that to leave at 7 and get back at 9:30 I have to have a (male) escort can be frustrating to an independent girl like me.  I hate accepting my own vulnerability, as I have been forced to do this week even more because of my ankle problems, and I wish that there were a way for me to change this.  Anyone who lives in the US (or Canada!) is lucky that we have so much gender equality- even if we don’t always see it that way and arguably still have a long way to go.  So if anyone here is in a women’s studies or social justice class this semester, I urge you to consider studying  the plight of women in developing countries.  I assure you, working to end this is just as fulfilling (and in my opinion, more important, but this is not always shared) than working to assure U.S causes, such as female sports teams receive equal funding with men’s teams.  Furthermore, today my friends and I were confronted with an incident of theft- while sitting outside at a delightful fruit juice café, we were shocked when my friend looked down and realized her bag was missing.  We never left the table and none of us have any idea how it happened- it was a huge shock, and obviously extremely upsetting for the girl whose bag was stolen.  Although this type of crime happens in the US as well, it’s upsetting to not feel safe and also to lose your things when it’s difficult to replace them.  So as a warning to everyone, be careful with your things, especially while travelling- but at the same time remember that things are replaceable, while you are not. 
The last of my news for the week is that I believe I’ve finally begun to focus on what I’ll be writing my final paper about.  I have been forced to choose between public health and prostitution- it appears there is no way to combine the two.  My current possible themes are: Islam and Abortion (which is illegal here, but performed anyway,) Combating the spread of AIDS in Morocco (difficult since premarital sex is, on paper, illegal,) or the unveiled women: how Islam contributes to prostitution in Morocco (prostitution is also, of course, illegal.)  I am open to any suggestions about any of these topics, so hit the comments, facebook, or email me (I mean it!)  I’ll be needing to turn one of these themes (Contraception/Abortion, AIDS, or Prostitution) into my thesis, which means I’ll also need to study it in China and as of yet (hopefully! Fingers crossed!) undisclosed Latin American location.  All are feasible, I believe, but present different challenges.  For example, while I would greatly like to study prostitution, AIDS is of particular interest in China right now, where a case is being heard of a teacher who was not hired due to his HIV Positive status.  However, it is not particularly of interest in Mexico, while illegal abortions and contraception becoming readily available in indigenous areas is considered controversial.  So as you can see, I am at my wit’s end on what to choose, and would love guidance.  No matter what, it will be a difficult road ahead, as all of these topics are taboo and therefore are going to be difficult to find people to talk to about.  In Morocco, the easiest would be AIDS, and the most difficult prostitution.  But we’ll see where my studies take me!
Thanks so much for reading through my angst and indecision (I hope that doesn’t make my life into a Twilight book) and as always I hope to hear from you!  Expect some beautiful pictures on Tuesday- but until then enjoy wherever in the world this post finds you and smile because I love you and miss you!

Love always,
Lauren
P.S. I am in the process of assigning my fake husband (a recommendation from my host sister) a name.  Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lauren!
    I just found the blog, I'm glad you're keeping it! Casablanca is basically my only reference point for Morocco, so it's really interesting to read about your life over there. Your many experiences abroad probably lessen the culture shock, but I'd imagine it's still quite an adjustment!
    Anyway, just wanted to let you know I'm reading :) Take care and good luck!
    Love,
    Izzy
    P.S. isabellaportena.blogspot.com - in case you're interested!

    ReplyDelete