Hey y’all!
Long time no write! I have a long weekend this weekend, which means I haven’t had class since Wednesday!! If only every week could be like this. September 10th was the Eid here in Morocco (but nobody knew till the 9th because you have to watch the moon) so we have been celebrating. And how do you celebrate the Eid? Well, you put on your new clothes, and if you’re my host brother, model them for all of us, and go get your hair done, and EAT. So much fried sweet food, it’s like every meal is at the State Fair.
However, in the interest of full disclosure, I must confess that on September 9th, I sinned. That’s right, I was out with friends, and we were hungry for lunch, and we went to McDonald’s. It was the only thing open (and even it had a big sign in the window saying it would only serve children and non-Muslims, though I’m not sure how they were enforcing that.) And over a happy meal with coke light and an ice cream cone (yeah, for 40 cents more you can get an ice cream cone) I assuaged my homesickness. And I got an awesome toy that lets me shoot water at people.
That day I also did a little shopping (future housemates: I got something for our TA) and went to the garden in the casbah, which was beautiful. Unfortunately now that Ramadan is over everything I want to do must be done during the day- it isn’t safe as a girl to go out late at night. Most of my friends have 9 o’clock curfews, and I’m lucky to have an 11:30 one, but only if I’m already out and get someone (a boy) to walk me home. I’m not going to lie, this is not particularly fun, but it presents an interesting challenge. Plus, I am free to go to the internet café next door until 11:30 without a chaperone. It may have the ability for me to use my laptop- I’ll keep y’all updated and if so that will be extremely helpful.
So yesterday I was watching the news with my host family and while the Quran burning may not be big news in the United States, it certainly is here. First, it’s going to happen basically on Eid (today) for U.S. Muslims, which just adds insult to injury. But I think my host sister summed it up best. She said that the terrorists (actually her word was sinners) burn the Bible and the U.S. gets angry and says that isn’t okay. Now places in the U.S. are burning the Quran and the Muslim world is getting angry. But what neither side’s news reports is that these are isolated, extremist acts. My religion teaches me not to be cruel to anyone, or burn any holy book- does yours?
Aside from this political issue, there is very little anti-American sentiment. Morocco’s are immigrating in high numbers to Quebec though, so telling boys I’m a Canadian citizen is a surefire way to get some marriage proposals. I’m passing for now though.
So that’s it for now. I have plans with some friends to go to the beach later this weekend, which should be super fun and nice. After that it’s back for a whole week of class (my first full week) but with extended wifi hours so you’ll hear from me. I love you and miss you all and hope you’re enjoying the photos and posts! Email, call, comment, or facebook me- I want to know what’s happening in your lives too!
Love always,
Lauren
No comments:
Post a Comment