That's right everyone- today is the 6 month anniversary of my jet-lagged arrival in Taichung. In some ways, it seems like I've been here sooo much longer than that. In other ways I can't believe 6 months have already gone by.
I'm not going to lie- I have not been in a particularly celebratory mood this week. But today I finished a 12.5 mile run (more about that later) and realized that I have lots to celebrate.
Back to back Team Canada wins and a UNC win over Duke! Y'all, I love sports- especially olympic hockey and college basketball. So I was super excited to watch the end of the UNC-Duke game (sorry, I had class during the beginning)
I'm not going to lie- I have not been in a particularly celebratory mood this week. But today I finished a 12.5 mile run (more about that later) and realized that I have lots to celebrate.
Back to back Team Canada wins and a UNC win over Duke! Y'all, I love sports- especially olympic hockey and college basketball. So I was super excited to watch the end of the UNC-Duke game (sorry, I had class during the beginning)
My roomie Joy had no idea what a perfectly colored scarf she made me! |
![]() |
| It may be after 2 am in Taiwan but I'm always awake for Canadian Hockey! (and Don Cherry's crazy blazers) |
I have health insurance. I have been to three doctors in the past two weeks, and it cost me $30, including all medications, etc. Total. That's insane. If you want the details of medical care in Taiwan, keep reading. If not, skip to the next bold words!
So my first visit was to the "western" doctor, when I had a horrible headache. Going to the doctor is easy- give them your ID card, they call you in to see the doctor, you are examined. Thankfully, every doctor I've seen in Taiwan speaks English- which makes my life much easier, as I don't have medical Chinese. But the "western" doctor gives you LOTS of medicine. Like 4 pills to take every time your head hurts. And while I think he gave a pretty accurate diagnosis (migraine or other severe headache) he couldn't give me much advice to actually fix it. Also, I spoke with the doctor for about 10 minutes and was done! A lot faster than my visits to doctors in the States (or Mexico, Paraguay, Morocco…)
My next visit was a dentist appointment. This was my first visit in over a year and a half- the joys of no dental insurance! But for the low low price of $3 USD I got my teeth cleaned and checked for cavities! Dentist appointments in Taichung don't appear to be a fancy operation like they are in the states- but for $3 I don't need fancy.
My last visit was this morning to the delightful "traditional" doctor. My friend Ruby invited me and my flatmate to go with her to the doctor (the second time, if you've read my blog previously) so off we went. After getting some major chiropractor-style adjustments (and being told I was in the worst condition of all three of us) I am hoping I feel some much needed relief. I also was asked if my arches are real, which is probably the strangest question a doctor has ever asked me. According to the doctor my arches make it seem like I am always wearing high heels. Which begs the question…why aren't my legs as awesome as Mariah Carey's? I also received lots of gross tasting (but helpful) traditional medicine to drink. And to go back to the doctor sooner rather than later next time.
I ran 12.5 miles today. Yep, that happened. And it almost didn't. On lap 8 of 10 I wanted to quit. But then from behind me I heard "Go! Go! Keep going! You can do it!" Thank you random American stranger in an orange shirt. I wish Taiwan had some sort of missed connections thing so I could explain to him how much that meant. But I finished all 10 laps (and only walked the last 2 blocks!!!) So 13.1 here I come in less than 21 days!
![]() |
| This is where I am running, according to my half marathon's Facebook page! |
I am going to Kuala Lumpur next weekend! 4 day week plus a vacation!! Yes please!!!
A new definition of success. I don't generally think of myself as a successful teacher. In fact, it's one of the reasons I consider leaving Taiwan instead of staying for another year (still not decided…when I know you'll know) But this week I was forced to think about my definition of success, especially on my run. Sometimes I am successful- I taught one of my students an entire conversation lesson where he spoke for over 1 hour based on Olympic hockey (Molson's beer fridge, let me know when you're coming to see me! I could be a commercial!) But mostly I don't feel successful, and don't think I should be teaching. So I think about what I could be good at, can't figure it out, and wake up the next day and keep teaching. Not really a recipe for being a transformational teacher.
And as I thought about this while running, I thought about Sydney Crosby. Sydney Crosby is a legend y'all- he scored the game winning goal over America in the 2010 Olympics gold medal game. But you know how many goals Sydney Crosby has scored this Olympics? Zero.
Y'all, sometimes even people who are good at what they do, the best in the world at what they do, still fail. No one is perfect all the time. Circumstances have defined my success in the past. And I'm not afraid to say that I have failed. But if Sydney Crosby can keep going out on the ice, so can I (the ice = the classroom.) So I'm going to keep trying and recognize that no one is successful all the time. And just because I can't see the tangible results of my work, maybe I am supporting someone. I hope I can make the next 5 months (and probably more…) here in Taichung really count!
That's it for me! I'll be busy never getting out of my bed and cheering on Team Canada tomorrow! Check back next Sunday (maybe Monday?) for pictures from Kuala Lumpur!



From another member of the "high arched" family, we really do need to figure out why we don't have the greatest gams ever. It's possible you need to wear heels regularly to make it happen, not just have the foot shape. I've been slacking in this department.
ReplyDeleteAlso, on the topic of Crosby.... it's a widely supported theory in my office that the MULTIPLE severe head injuries and concussions may be to blame for his declining awesomeness. Let's be clear, he's still a great player but I think he's a poster child for why repeat concussions are bad and eventually career ending. As always, LOVE the blog and I share it with friends regularly.