Sunday, November 24, 2013

Things my Students Say...

Hi y'all!


This week I have been quite lame...so my sincerest apologies. Aside from playing badminton (be glad there's no pictures from that) I have been decidedly uncool. Also I have 0 hand-eye coordination- so I don't think badminton is a sport for me.
But I did go see Hunger Games this weekend. And that was AWESOME! Go see it y'all!


But the level of sass in the movie made me think of another group that has been particularly sassy this week...my students.
Now I love my students, and they are brilliant. But sometimes they say things and I have to stop myself from laughing. Sometimes it's cultural misunderstandings- but more often, it's just that I teach students who range from age 4 to age 10.


So this week I present...things my students say:


Preschool:
  • Me: Boys and girls, today we have a special visitor!
  • Student: Is it Santa? Is Santa here? (Proceeds to jump up and down)
  • Me: No, it's someone here to talk to us about grandma and grandpa.
  • Student: Not Santa? (Face crumples)

  • Me: (During Christmas Rehearsal) I can't hear you singing!
  • Student (in Chinese) Teacher, maybe you don't understand Chinese because you can't hear.

  • Me: Today we have spots! Who is wearing spots?
  • Student: Teacher Lauren you! (points to my freckles)

  • Me: How are you today?
  • Student: I'm Crazy!

  • (In the middle of story time, in Chinese) Teacher, ------- didn't eat his breakfast. He shouldn't get a smiley face today.   *My students eat breakfast at home. I have no control over this. 

  • Me: Let's pray.
  • All Students: Thank you God for snack time. Amen.
  • Student 1: No!  No! No!  Thank you god for lunchtime.  We do not do our best!
1st Grade:
  • (I walk into class) Student: Teacher horse!!! Teacher horse! (I shouldn't have told them my Chinese name is 馬若蘭。

  • Student: Teacher, what are pom poms?
  • Me: You wave them in the air when you dance
  • Student: Is it cake? Chocolate?

  • Student: Teacher Lauren will you check my homework?
  • Me: Sure!
  • Student hands me Chinese workbook.

5th Grade:
This week I asked my students:
“What is your favourite thing about this class?” Their answers:
  • When Teacher gives us food so she doesn't get fat
  • When Teacher talks funny (I believe this is when my southern accent comes out)
  • When Teacher pretends she's stupid so we have to help her
“What is your least favourite thing about this class?”:
  • Teacher can't have the air conditioning on because the doctor said so (this is true)
  • When Teacher understands Chinese and gives us strikes for saying bad things
  • The water drips in the bathroom

  • Student: (imitating me) Y'all, we ain't got time for this mess.  (Note: My students are not going to be prepared for life outside of the South at this rate.)

  • Student: (talking about hobbies) Teacher Lauren, do you bake cookies with your boyfriend?
  • Me: No
  • Student: Do you have a boyfriend?
  • Me: No
  • Other Student: (Nods knowingly) Did he get three strikes so you break up?

On that note...

Next weekend I am off to HONG KONG!!! Happy American Thanksgiving to me! So I promise next week I will have some great photos, stories, and philosophical musings. I apologize my blog is neither academic nor transformational...but hopefully something this week made you smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment